Monday, April 4, 2011

Wrestling in SL - an interview with former Southern US champ in the OEW arena

jw and me talking in the OEW arena.

Nadja Revnik: How often do wrestling events take place?
jw Beeswing: We have 3 weekly events: monday 4slt, thursday 4slt and saturday 4slt and a sunday fpv once a month, sundays at 12slt.
Nadja Revnik: What's DCWF standing for?
jw Beeswing: DCWF is another wrestling federation.
Nadja Revnik: How many are there?
jw Beeswing: There are quite a few, but three major coed feds. DCW, OEW and VWE and a all female fed HAWX. O.E.W. is Over The Edge Wrestling. D.C.W.F. is Digital championship wrestling federation. V.W.E is Virtual Wrestling enertainment. Hawx is Hot Ass Wrestling Xtreme.
Nadja Revnik: Lol. And is there one or four wrestling leagues then?
jw Beeswing: 4 different leagues. But we all use the same basic moves.
Nadja Revnik: And you are number one in yours?
jw Beeswing: No, I am not the world champ. I am the Southern US champion. Derrick Zane is O.E.W. Champion. We also have a womens division here.
Nadja Revnikk: Um? How is the list or rating organised?
jw Beeswing: Well, here the top male is the World champion, Top Female womens Champ. Then US title and Souther US title are equal. Cruiserweight and hardcore are equal. Then We Have World Tag and Womens Tag. And tomorrow we will crown the first ever TV Champion. As we are on Metaverse.
Nadja Revnik: And how does the wrestling technically work in SL?
jw Beeswing: We use a gestured based HUD called the ACPWS.
Nadja Revnik: And the HUD recognizes the moves of the two persons in the ring?
jw Beeswing: Yes.
Nadja Revnik: I guess there is no option to try out the HUD without buying one? Just to see how it works?
jw Beeswing: The hud is free. Tomorrow, if you like, I can set you up a sparring session with a female wrestler.
/comment and that's what you read about in my next blog report...how my bones cracked on the floor.
Nadja Revnik: Oh, cool!
/commment I said naively without imagining the pains.
Nadja Revnik: Why did you start wrestling in SL?
jw Beeswing: Because I am a huge wrestling fan of 20 years in RL.
Nadja Revnik: Ah, ok. ;-)
jw Beeswing: And I always dreamed of wrestling and I can in SL.
Nadja Revnik: For how long you are a wrestler here?
jw Beeswing: Almost 2 years!
Nadja Revnik: Long, for SL time. And how would you describe the wrestling community?
jw Beeswing: Since day two on SL I've been doing this. And for the most part it is a strong community.
Nadja Revnik: What kinda guys are in it?
jw Beeswing: We have a plethra of guys we have emo to jock to goth to geek to chic.
Nadja Revnik: I see you're a frat boy - is this connected to wrestling in some way?
jw Beeswing: Not really, I was a wrestler first. But my frat brother and sority sisters come to the matches to support me.
Nadja Revnik: Do you train a lot for the matches?
jw Beeswing: See SL wrestling is a sport that demands dedication as you do not get paid, you really have to have a love for it. And yes I train alot.
Nadja Revnik: So wrestlers are taking it really serious? I mean the competition? And not just a fun thing?
jw Beeswing: Some take it serious, but a lot do it for fun.
Nadja Revnik: Ok. And a last question for the interview: why do you think people engage in sports in SL in general?
jw Beeswing: For me it is a combonation: I take it serious from the aspect that I am here to do one thing: give the fans a good show. So I must be on top of my game as well as my opponet. But I do it for fun and the love of it. Well, to me SL is a place you can come to escape RL and do stuff you may not be able to do in RL. So any sport you can do in SL gives every one who has ever dreamed of being a sports star that ability.
Nadja Revnik: ;-) Well, thanks for your time jw!

A short time after I interviewed jw i visted a wrestling match and shoot some pics.....







No comments:

Post a Comment